Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Good Girl Gone Bad

Everybody at work thinks I’m a badass.

How I know this is ‘cause they gave me an award that had a Skull & Bones on it, with the word BADASS and my name underneath. 

I was minding my own business (meaning, not paying any attention) at our quarterly all-staff meeting when I heard one of our VPs say, “This next award goes to a person who just takes the lead and gets sh*t f*cking done.”

I’m pretty sure that’s what was said, but I wasn’t listening closely so don’t quote me on that. The next thing I think I heard was, “Shemika, get your badass up here.” Which took me back to my childhood days of breaking stuff that didn’t belong to me. Fortunately, Bigmama wasn’t standing there with a switch, so I knew it was all good.

I received the award for planning and executing our volunteer day at a local Boys & Girls Club. I was glad to do the planning, and get the sh*t f*cking done for the kids. If you want to meet some real badasses, though, spend a day at the Club.

Wait, stop right there! I’m not talking about the kids. I’m talking about the 8 men and women who provide afterschool care, snacks, tutorials, and yes, even love and caring to nearly 150 low-income kids in a rundown, understaffed and underequipped building. The paint and plants I bought are nothing compared to what they do on a regular Monday before 3 p.m.

When the announcer called my name at work, I grabbed the mic Kanye-style and said, “Hold up, hold up, I’ma let you finish but... the staff over at the Club are the real badasses.”

Okay, I didn’t really say that. I didn’t even think of it. My friend DG did, and it was just too good of a line to waste. 

The Club staff really do deserve all the credit, so I dedicate my award to them. The $150 gift card and free hotel room that came with the award? I’m keeping them for myself.

'Cause, I’m a real badass.

2 comments:

KJ said...

Hooray for you!! :-D

Unknown said...

What are you supposed to do with a hotel room?