Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The weather outside is frightful

The skies are so not delightful... How much longer can this go on? I'm all for Lake Lanier reaching it's full level and all, but enough already with the rain, overcast conditions and low temps. I am developing a serious case of the S.A.D.s over here (that's Seasonal Affective Disorder, by the way), and that means it's gonna be a long winter.

Year's ago, I, with the help of WebMd.com, self-diagnosed me as S.A.D. (I also diagnosed myself as having an enlarged prostate, which may have been slightly inaccurate, but whatever). That's right, when the seasons change and the sun goes on vacation, things get rough for Mimi.

I know for a (un)scientific fact that I am S.A.D., because I experience:
1. Mood swings: Check. I hate leaving my house and coming back to it in the dark. It pisses me off, and I don't want to smile.
2. Oversleeping: Check. If it's dark outside, I should be asleep, even if it is for 12 hours during my regular workday.
3. Low Energy: Check. Who in the name of a cold winter's morning has the energy to get up and go out when it's 10 degrees, wet, freezing, and oh yeah, DARK.
4. Increased craving for sweets and starchy foods: Check. I want some gumbo, some turkey dressing, some sweet potato pie and some yeast rolls.

According to the experts who do not work for webmd.com, the trick is to turn on plenty of lights, stay active, and take supplements enriched with Vitamin D. But how am I supposed to do that when I'm battling all these symptons? Does shopping for sweet and salty foods count as activity? Does the glow from the TV count as extra light?

I got problems, serious problems. And I'm determined to figure them out... just as soon as I wake up from my nap.

S.A.D.ly yours,
Mimi

No comments: