Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Date End

Last Sunday, I found myself without much on the agenda. I eventually ended up at the Dogwood Fest, and then got a call from B.H.M.

BHM: Hey.
Me: Hey.
BHM: What are you up to?
Me: Leaving the park, thinking about getting some food.
BHM: Oh, I was just about to go eat, too.
Me: Okay.

[Insert daytime minutes-wasting silence here.]

Me: Okay, well, enjoy. I guess I better go now.
BHM: Oh, well what are you going to eat?
Me: Not sure yet.
BHM: Yeah, me either.
Me: Do you wanna meet me? Is that what you’re trying to say?
BHM: Do you want me to meet you?
Me: Ummm, you ‘bout to make me---
BHM: Okay, I’m just playing.
Me: Oh, I was about to say....
Me: Where do you want to meet…
BHM: Umm, I’m not sure.

Notice the amazing phone skills? We eventually agree on a mall parking lot as a central meeting point. I get there and he’s just standing around, looking quite dapper for a Sunday afternoon (i.e., he’s dressed like a preacher—blazer, silk shirt, pleated slacks, silk stockings and square-toed shoes). Now, it’s late afternoon and church has been over long enough for me to take a nap, change clothes and go walk around the park for a few hours. Plus, he observes the Sabbath on Saturday, so I have no explanation for the haute coutoure.

He comes over to the car and asks if I wanna go to a pizza place that was back in the area that I just drove from. I tell him no and suggest a pizza place right across the street that he can follow to me. He says, “Well, I don’t drive.”

[He doesn't what?]

“Well, how’d you get here,” I ask.

“The bus.”

[Rolling my eyes and sighing real loud.] “Just, get in the car.”

Over dinner (which he tried to order without asking what I liked), he picks up right where he left off, telling me about his religion and how he would like me to visit his church so that we can see if we “fit.” Telling me he’s searching for a wife this year. Telling me he doesn’t just date for the sake of dating. Telling me if I think the path of Holiness is something that I can follow, then we can be married in 3 to 6 months.

Know what I told him?

“Check, PLEASE.”


No comments: