Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mimi the Bee

I’ve had a few rough days at work. In the ad business, sometimes the job you do ain’t necessarily the job you signed up, got hired and get paid for. That’s just how it goes.

Around here, I’m known for being game to do the jobs that other people run from. But today, I was feeling extra bitter about it – wondering what the hell I had gotten myself into and plotting how was I going to get out.

Ten minutes into my pity party, I noticed a bumblebee outside my office window. Not really unusual to see a bee, given that it’s springtime, but my office is on the ninth floor of a tall building. Pretty high up for a bumblebee, I’m thinking.

That bee was just whirling around in chaotic circles and dipping high and low like crazy. It took me a minute to realize that the bee wasn’t flying under its own steam; it was caught up in a whirlwind that probably just came by and swept it along.

I felt sorry for the bee. It was flapping its wings as fast as it could, trying to get back on its original path, until it finally got tired and just let the wind take control.

Eventually, the wind did let go. I bet that old bee was glad to get back to its regularly scheduled business, whatever that may be. I pointed it out to my co-worker, who said, “Well, if it hadn’t been for the wind, that bee never woulda known it could fly up this high.”

And just like that, it all made sense. I’m Mimi the Bee and this is my whirlwind.

1 comment:

Kashiera said...

Wow...how profound. See...one of the many reasons I love your blog!!